The Time is Now
By Jon Van Bourg
If you are thinking about getting a new boat motor, the time is now! Get rid of your old two stroke engine and buy a new four stroke boat motor. Do it for your lake’s sake, do it for your own pleasure.
Maine has thousands of lakes and ponds and until recently, most outboard engines and personal watercraft were powered by conventional carbureted two-stroke engines. These engines are VERY inefficient in their use of gasoline. As much as 30 percent of the fuel passes through the combustion chamber unburned and is released into the lake! Unburned gasoline pollutes the air and gasoline in our lakes adds benzene and MTBE and other toxins.
The new four stroke engines are better for the environment, they are much more fuel efficient, easier to maintain and they save money. Just imagine no more fuel mixing! No more fouled spark plugs while out in the middle of the lake! No more smoke and oil from the back of the boat! No more exhaustion on the first day of the season, trying to get the engine started. Most importantly, four stroke engines are almost silent when idling. So if you love fishing, you no longer need to take along a trolling motor.
Just enjoy the quiet solitude of your lake.
The benefits of a four stroke engine are clear:
- They burn 35% to 50% less gas.
- Use up to 50% less oil.
- Save Money, $ over the lifetime of the engine.
- Reduce air pollution by 75%.
- Reduce pollution of our lakes.
- They are easier to start and have a quicker throttle response.
- Reduce smoke and fumes.
- They are less disruptive of the wildlife or the neighbors .
- The drawbacks?
- They are so quiet that at first you won’t know that it is on!
- They cost more money, but it is worth every penny. Do it now, for your lake’s sake